Sunday, October 13, 2002

Okay, I'm on call but it's quiet and my fingers are getting very fidgety, so I'm just gonna post something. :)
Here's my list of good horror films -- Halloween's coming up, so this is a prime opportunity.

In order of preference:

1) The Turn of the Screw -- This was shown over local TV a couple of years back ( Channel 12 or Central, I believe ), and scared the life out of me. Utterly creepy from beginning to end, this is based on a novel by Henry James ( which I bought, but haven't had the time to read yet ), and revolves around a haunted old house during the Victorian era ( a very popular theme, I notice ). It stars unknowns, and looks pretty low-budget, but the director really knows how to create an atmosphere of terror, and my hair was standing on end throughout the 2 harrowing hours of the movie. The closing scene featured one of the vicious ghosts gliding down a long staircase, and the makeup artist deserves an Oscar for his/her rendering of the spirits' faces. I'm getting goose pimples just writing about it. Maybe I should stop here. :)

2) What Lies Beneath -- I've seen it close to 10 times already, but haven't tired of it at all. I first caught it at Lido during a midnight screening, and almost lost it during the bathroom scene ( those of you who have seen it will know what I mean ). I next saw this film on a plane to Sydney, but it wasn't the same with the bright lights and people walking around. I suggest you rent the DVD/VCD, get rid of anything or anyone that has a potential for making noise, turn down the lights, and make yourself really comfortable, in order to fully experience this terrific movie. Michelle Pfeiffer shines in her role, and Harrison Ford plays against type for once. There aren't any eye-popping visual effects like those in The Haunting or other scream fests, so director Robert Zemeckis banks on our fear of the unknown, setting up scenes beautifully to enhance the scare factor tremendously. The ghost here is both gorgeous and malicious. Definitely worth the time and money.

3) The Sixth Sense -- Yet another film I've watched countless times, and my first introduction to the immensely talented Haley Joel Osment and M. Night Shyamalan. A sleeper hit that also relaunched Bruce Willis' flagging career, it is one of the most intelligent films in recent history, and made extremely touching through Osment's heart-wrenching portrayal of an innocent child tormented by his special gift. But my love for the film hinges on the relationship between Osment's and Willis' characters. The scene where the former breaks down in tears when the latter refuses to help him anymore is surely guaranteed to reduce even the toughest of people to jelly. But my personal favourite sequence is the one where the boy's mother notices his sweaty handprints on the kitchen table after he leaves -- in retrospect, an indication of the constant fear he felt, even in his own home, where the ghosts visited often. Truly a masterpiece.

4) The Others -- Rather similar to The Turn of the Screw in terms of period and plot, but also very frightening, especially if viewed under the right conditions. Nicole Kidman once again proves she's an actress to be reckoned with, and the house almost has a life of its own. Unnerving, to say the least.

5) Stir of Echoes -- Not exactly that terrifying, but it's well-made and very underrated. Kevin Bacon plays a man who suddenly attains the ability to see ghosts after a hypnosis session, and becomes the only link between a restless soul seeking revenge and the killers who prematurely ended her life. The scariest part comes within the first 20 minutes, so get yourself psyched.

6) The Devil's Backbone -- I hardly watch foreign films, so this appealed to me only because of its content. And I have never regretted seeing it. Featuring Spanish dialogue, it tells a tale of an "orphanage" situated in the middle of what looks like a desert, and is set during World War II. The spirit in question is that of a young child, and I shall not reveal too much lest I let the all-important cat out of the bag. :) It's a lovely little movie, so rent it if you can.

Others worth mentioning:
Old movies are quite good as well. Though none of them compares to the first 3 on my list, some which I think are pretty enjoyable include The Exorcist ( a little slow, however ), The Changeling, The Omen, and Amityville.

Last, I just want to mention that I caught 15 minutes of Six Feet Under last night -- couldn't stay up 'cos I'm on call today -- and couldn't stop laughing. It's so unbelievably fantastic, from the opening sequence and catchy Thomas Newman score, to the witty dialogue which drips with dark humour, and the stellar performances from all the actors. I'm gonna forgo my post-call sleep and watch the rest of the 2-hour pilot tomorrow when I get home. And if it's really really good, this may be the first TV series I record and keep on tape. :)

No comments: