Friday, February 21, 2003

TV show updates:

1) Monk debuts on Channel i tonight. I don't really know much about this series, but it's got Tony Shalhoub in it ( perhaps obscure to most of you, but he did play the alien with the amazing ability to regenerate his shot-off head in Men In Black ). And furthermore, Shalhoub picked up a Golden Globe for his lead role in the show, playing "an obsessive-compulsive detective". Sounds promising.

2) C.S.I. has returned to cable! Showtime: every Wednesday 9pm on Channel 19 (AXN). This is the 3rd season, and though the first episode wasn't that exciting, the cast is looking better and better -- especially Marg Helgenberger and George Eads -- and they've added Eric Szmanda ( who plays the lab geek in love with the younger female member of the CSI team ) as a regular. His frequent double-meaning sexy repartees with Jorja Fox are such a delight to watch. :)

3) Don't miss Living With Michael Jackson on Channel 5 at 10pm this Sunday. Word has it he's crucified in this documentary, and although I agree he's weird, I tend to think that his bizarre behaviour is a by-product of his traumatic childhood and far-from-normal life in general. As we all know, the media loves to sling dirt, 'cos let's face it, nobody wants to read about the good stuff! But if you ask me, I think anyone possessing his generosity can't be all that bad. 10 years ago, when he came to Singapore for his first-ever concert here, he visited Mount Elizabeth Hospital when he fell ill, and after being checked out, he showered the staff there with free tickets to his show. On another day, he visited the local zoo, again being very accomodating with the fans he met, and even bringing along some less fortunate kids with him. As for the paedophile issue, the jury's still out. Bottomline: Don't be so judgmental and give the poor guy a break.

4) Next Sunday, there'll be yet another Robbie Williams concert special -- sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D Held in Manchester, it'll definitely be a real treat, and you'll be able to find out why I'm such a huge fan of his. It's gonna be on Channel 5, but I can't remember the exact time, so check the programme listing.

Now, here's an entry I almost never make on my blog -- a complaint! Yes, people, the department I'm currently posted to is driving me up a wall. One medical officer (MO) went on maternity leave, and as she's instrumental in keeping the clinic running efficiently, it's been a hellhole during her absence. We're consistently overbooked, no thanks to an inconsiderate appointment centre, and at any 1 point in time, a couple of other MOs are on much-needed exam or annual leave, or medical leave ( due to stress, no doubt ). As a result, clinic coverage is difficult, and the call rosters have been turned inside out and upside down countless times this month. I only hope the last 2 months I have left in this place will not cause me to succumb to a frighteningly potent flu bug that's been making its rounds on the entire staff since X'mas. This is because a new roster system has been implemented, saying that if you're sick and unable to do your own call, and someone has to replace you, you will have to pay that person back no matter what. Or if you're unable to get cover at all, you have to come back and do your night call -- yes, when you're sick enough to have to take MC, believe it or not.
I've taken only 1 day's MC so far, and managed to escape the flu epidemic, but if I do get sick, and suffer the bad end of the deal, morale's going to sink even lower.

Well, the upside is, I'll try to organize an end-of-posting MO/houseman dinner cum carousing session sometime in April ( our last month, thank goodness! ). Let off some steam before we move on to our next postings. :)

Shall end off with a nice quote I heard on the radio this morning:
"Let me just say that I think Jeniifer Capriati has a really nice pair of susu machines, brudder."-- Glenn Ong, Perfect 10 98.7FM DJ

No comments: