Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Hi everyone. Apologies for disappearing off the radar for a while there. Well, actually, I was contemplating remaining silent for another week or so, but I saw the Site Meter counter and I can't believe how the number of visitors has suddenly tripled. Who ARE you people??? Not that I'm complaining, of course :), but please, I enjoy reading all your comments, so please write something, anything, the next time you drop by. Thanks again for reading -- your visits have thus inspired me to write something :D

Anyway, I'm sure many of you are wondering about the SARS situation. Let me remind you that I don't work in TTSH or the CDC, and Changi General is still considered a SARS-free hospital, but overall, the news we receive every morning follows that in the news very closely -- latest tally of total and new cases, new discoveries, updates on new protective equipment, and, the part I hate, the latest death toll. Our main concerns are the 2 critically ill doctors, one a young cardiology medical officer in TTSH, the other a physician at NUH. I received more details about the former, who is the ex-college mate of a fellow MO in my current department, and apparently hailing from a family that's full of distinguished medical professionals. I was told that he's clinically brain-dead, but we're all hoping and praying for a miracle, and that he will recover. Some people tell me that the NUH doctor is also very unwell, but as I have no reliable source from that angle, I can't provide more information at this time. Any of you out there who can offer prayers for these 2 unfortunate souls, please do so.

This month's SMA News will concentrate on SARS, with a significant number of contributions from respected professors of medicine. I've seen the draft already, and the online version should be available very soon, so please take a look. I will also be writing a piece as a tribute to Singapore's many courageous and dedicated doctors, which will be published next month, so if I write less on my blog, that's the main reason. :)

Anyhow, I'll keep this short 'cos I have a deadline and have to get back to the article. I'll leave you with this great Clay Aiken link, a real treasure that offers terrific downloads of audio and video clips -- everything from his performance of "Open Arms" to the latest disco night show ( he rocked yet again! ). You'll also get a chance to read the guestbook -- where I contributed an entry on March 30th. It's my latest addiction, and in these times of war and epidemics, Clay is a comforting presence.

Thanks again for reading. If you've got any burning questions, just ask. :)

No comments: