Thursday, April 17, 2003

Sorry about not posting anything yesterday. My fellow MO got called down to run clinic because we were shorthanded yet again, and while I was attempting to write something before the evening round, my registrar ( aka senior resident ) came by and after that, I was too tired to blog.

Actually, there aren't any new updates. But for the benefit of those who don't read the Singapore news, the past few days have been rather depressing:

1. Dr. Ong Hok Su's mother, also a doctor, passed away from SARS a few days ago. This is about a week after Dr. Ong himself perished -- he was 27.

2. There were reports that the public, when stopped from visiting patients in the hospitals ( due to new guidelines on restricting the number of outsiders allowed into the wards ), hurl vulgarities and even spit at hospital staff.

3. At Alexandra Hospital -- which is the only government hospital where the wards remain untouched by SARS -- reported a case where a male patient lied on a health screening questionnaire. When asked if he had any contact with SARS cases, he left out the fact the his own wife was warded in the ICU of TTSH with suspected SARS. Good thing this omission was later found out and he was immediately transferred to be isolated.

4. Dr. Leong Hoe Nam is being investigated by authorities for possibly endangering the lives of other airline passengers when he boarded a flight to Frankfurt despite having a fever and having been in contact with SARS patients in Singapore before his trip. The upside is, 2 senior doctors here defended him in the press after the news broke, and no passengers were infected by him.

The last month or so has been taxing for many of us in the medical profession, but I suspect I'm only starting the feel the full effects as of now. This is evidenced by an overwhelming sense of loss and sadness that I felt this morning -- and which was duly noticed by my fellow colleagues, who did ask me about it. I couldn't explain it at the time, but I'm pretty sure I can pinpoint it now. A young doctor and his physician mother are dead, 2 other doctors are in intensive care, numerous healthcare workers are getting hit with SARS, those left standing are overworked and equally fearful, annual leave is being cancelled... there will always be a breaking point.

Most of my friends are coping okay, but some are not. Though I'm not based in TTSH or the CDC -- I can't even imagine how the doctors there are handling it -- I was especially upset by Dr. Ong's demise, and now, when a surgeon I once worked with is also in intensive care, I don't even want to think about what else could happen next.

I'm in desperate need for some leave -- 2 or 3 days would suffice -- but when I spoke to a consultant today, he says the Ministry of Health is still considering that option. The last leave I took was in December, initially for the purpose of taking a trip to New Zealand ( I was looking forward to visiting the many places where The Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed ) but those plans were unexpectedly put on hold when my mother had to go for emergency eye surgery. I spent my leave in her room at the Singapore General Hospital, and didn't even get much rest in the end. And after returning to Changi General, it's been non-stop ever since. I'll be rotating to CGH's A&E Department in June, and my exams are coming up in August/September, so a few days of rest will do a lot of good. But like I said, the MOH is "thinking about it". At this rate, it looks like the only way any of us can get away from the hospital is to get a fever with forced MC. Sigh.

The race for the diagnostic SARS testing kit is on. Hopes are high, but I'm more interested in the search for a cure.

With regards to the media, I think I'll stop talking about The Straits Times for a while. Mr. WashYourHands is obviously concerned with my "lack of objectivity", and though I have a comments section, I don't exactly enjoy having my views questioned every time I post something. Anyway, my blog is supposed to concentrate on SARS, so let's do that. :)

Still, Ms. Chua Mui Hoong's little propaganda piece in Life! today -- the "Spend And Relax Strategy" -- made me laugh so hard I actually felt pretty good after that. She should do some standup comedy, using her columns as its main content.

And as usual, I just saw Clay Aiken's latest performance, and can't wait to see it on TV tonight. He sang "Tell Her About It" -- the theme being Billy Joel songs ( a little strange, but hey, it's their show ). Not the best choice -- I think "The Longest Time" or "Uptown Girl" may have been better for him -- but BJ songs are mostly easy, singalong-campfire-type pieces, so Clay would do well no matter which one he picks. I'll bet he'll make it through yet again. :)

No comments: