Wednesday, May 28, 2003

I should've bought lottery tickets! My prediction regarding the complaint came true, and just a few minutes ago, someone from administration came by to ask me what exactly happened yesterday. ( She was really nice, so it wasn't unpleasant or anything. )

The last complaint I got was as a fresh houseman, and the way patients' relatives distort the truth still boggles my mind. For example, this particular patient's daughter said the following: 1) that the blood tests weren't ready when I first saw her, 2) that I didn't consult my registrar while her mother was over at the other clinic, thus delaying management further, and 3) that I ignored her when she asked me questions.

Regarding (1), hello, the minute the patient and her daughter sat down, I told them that her blood tests were terrible, which was why I needed to consult someone more senior for help. As for (2), this was merely an assumption, as I was so intent on fulfilling her request to "hurry up" that I called the registrar while the patient was still in the other clinic -- therefore consulting him without the case-notes. Once the file was back on our side, I already had the management plan all outlined. It's not my fault the patient's daughter refused to see me. And (3)? All I'd like to say is: Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Fellow doctors will know why I reacted this way.

Was catching up on some of my backlogged Time (Asia) mag issues yesterday. One sentence on SARS caught my eye. It said that people who recover from SARS can relapse days or weeks later, while others can be completely asymptomatic yet be extremely infectious. No mention of such cases in Singapore though. Anyone have any idea?

Here's a rundown of the latest good TV shows you can watch ( after Survivor and American Idol ended their runs ):

Alias -- The second season is better than ever, and the latest episode had such a major twist that I actually went "Whoa!". Jennifer Garner has never looked prettier, and Michael Vartan is terrific, as always. Channel 5, Mondays at 11:30pm.

Fear Factor -- The latest season started on Channel 19, AXN, 8pm last Monday, so don't miss it! No really disgusting stunts yet, though, but you can bet they'll surface sooner or later. :D

Six Feet Under -- HBO Tuesdays 10pm. I thought the 2nd season would start last night, but it was a rerun. Will have to check the catalogue for more info. But anyhow, if you missed it the first time round, this'll be your chance to catch up.

C.S.I. -- AXN Wednesdays 9pm. Enough said. Fantastic show, everyone looks fabulous, and the writing's improved in leaps and bounds. ( It was already very good, but it's even better now! )

The Amazing Race 4 -- Starts 30th May on Channel 5 ( 8pm I think ). I've always been a big fan, and this installment has a gay married couple, which is interesting since Singapore considers homosexuality illegal. Are they going to censor things again? Please don't. We're all mature adults here.

Gilmore Girls -- My favourite chick series is back, but I found out only a few episodes after the second season began, darn! Completely missed the episode where Rory broke up with Dean and ended up with Jesse, etc. If you're confused, that's 'cos you're not a GG fanatic like me. :) But even if you're not familiar with the show, you can still watch it for the great script -- witty and intelligent -- the beautiful people, and some clean, wholesome entertainment.

No comments: