Saturday, May 31, 2003

Looks like I've got a few minutes before my shift starts.

My first day in the ER yesterday was relaxing -- but it was my first day, so I hope I don't end up jinxing myself. I saw about 25 patients over an 8-hour period, most of whom were uncomplicated upper respiratory tract infections, giddiness and the like. A couple of admissions, one nail avulsion for an ingrown toenail, nothing stressful.

Wearing scrubs is the norm here, and they're extremely comfortable -- not to mention a huge saving in terms of time, money and energy, since I can now wear jeans and T-shirts to work everyday, and put those in my locker till I finish my shift. :D Things move really quickly here as well, with cases in the consultation area clearing at super-speed. It's probably due in part to the lack of very sick, complicated cases ( like in hospitals with subspecialties such as haematology, oncology and renal ). But then, the resuscitation room is a whole different ball game -- will have a taste of that this weekend, or Monday, when I'm on night shift *shiver shiver*. :)

Got an SMS from a former houseman ( who's now a new MO ), requesting that I try hard to keep admissions to medicine to the minimum. Hey, I attempt to do that for all disciplines! :D But don't worry. I've been on the receiving end before, and am well aware of some really bizarre cases that somehow get shunted upstairs. I'm working on my "appeasing" skills, so that anxious patients will feel reassured and not insist on admission for conditions that can be managed outside the hospital. But if I do send one or two annoying ones up, it's usually because I couldn't persuade them otherwise.

I'm trying to follow up on my admissions. So if any of you in the wards can feedback to me, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: