Monday, July 21, 2003

Part Deux

The resus area just got swamped by people brought in from a road traffic accident involving a lorry and a bus. The MO inside says everyone's fine, so that's a relief.

The maintenance people are apparently trying to turn the ER into an ice box, judging from the immensely uncomfortable temperature down here since Sunday morning -- 10 degrees Celsius thereabouts, judging from my blue fingers and toes. We're all feeling it through our masks, gowns and gloves, can you believe it? I thought about calling to ask them to turn the thermostat back up, but realized that being frozen does wonders for my alertness. Haven't been this cold since my orthopaedic posting in another Eastern cluster hospital. Used to spend up to 12 hours in the operating theatre on long days, sometimes standing directly under the air-con vent while trying to hold retractors steady during spinal surgery. How the heck did I get through THAT?

Here's something I'd like to mention: Anyone caught the latest episode of "C.S.I." on AXN last Wednesday? One particular scene made me sit up -- the one where young Sara Sidle asks her superior, Gil Grissom, out to dinner. Whoa, I did NOT see that coming! Sara, to the uninformed, is a Harvard University graduate who studied physics and joined the CSI team as a materials/chemicals analyst. She's very focussed on her career, but went out with a paramedic, who later turned out to be a real scumbag with another girlfriend on the side. Personally, I pictured her with another CSI colleague -- forgot his name, but he's played by Eric Szmanda; he's an expert on DNA analysis, and totally hung on Sara, but she just isn't interested, poor thing.

Anyway, I digress. After getting over the initial shock, I must say I was both intrigued by and supportive of this latest plot twist. First, there's the obvious age gap ( but that isn't much of a problem in current times ). Then, there's the boss-underling issue -- a workplace romance? Not a good idea. Then, could Sara be on the rebound? Perhaps, but I respect her too much as a level-headed woman to give her that label. Maybe the trauma of betrayal has made her realize what a good man Grissom really is, thus prompting her to make such a bold move. Sadly, the guy is a little on the dim side where Sara's overtures are concerned. His response to her "Wanna grab some dinner?" was "Er, no." And when she pushes with "Let's just see where this goes.", he replies, "I don't even know what to do with this." and the interlude ends there. If it had been me, I would've felt really insulted. Would like to see how she behaves towards him in the future -- the first of a 2-part finale will be shown this week. Looks like something involving a big heist. Should be a blast.

No comments: