Sunday, July 06, 2003

Sunday morning, and the NS men are already pouring in. The usual flus and sprain injuries, with the occasional guy who suddenly shows up after 2 years of symptoms ( e.g. ankle instability ) then asks coyly for some MC, aaargh! Have missed church for a few weeks now, which is getting me down, but I can't have all my Sundays free in any department, so this is something I'll have to live with.

My thanks to all for your support regarding the issue in my last post. I was contemplating bringing it up to the seniors' attention ( in the ER, not that MO's department -- I'm not that vengeful :)), but thought I'd give him a chance and see if he repeats himself. Reminds me of a HO I had during my last rotation, who made me so mad I shouted at him because I just couldn't stand it anymore. That was the first and only time I've ever yelled at someone at work, and I also had to write a formal letter to my consultant so he could take some action. I'm happy to report that the HO changed his ways after that, though only after some time. Believe it or not, we also resolved our differences, and during future calls, I helped him clerk cases, and he never gave me any more problems. If people can change, they deserve a second chance. If this MO in question persists in his bad habits, then I'd have no choice but to ask my seniors for help.

Read in the papers today that the Iranian Siamese twins will be undergoing surgery to separate themselves today. It's expected to take 48 hours at least, and is of course guaranteed to be high-risk in nature. Helming this operation is Dr. Keith Goh, who was also involved in separating the Nepalese neonates a couple of years back. He assisted Dr. Chumpon Chan that time in SGH, but has now moved to Raffles Hospital. The 2 surgeons were featured in a recent issue of Reader's Digest, and both seem like very nice people who are extremely dedicated to their patients' welfare -- Dr. Chan even invited the Nepalese twins' parents to his home for dinner a few times, as they had no friends or relatives in Singapore. That feat was a milestone for our country, being the first of its kind attempted in the East, and taking almost 4 days to complete. This time, Dr. Goh will put Singapore on the world map once again. I wish him and his team the best of luck, and pray that the Iranian twins will pull through.

On a less serious note, TV-philes should tune in to the whopping 3-hour Law & Order feast on Channel i starting tonight. I'm a long-time fan of the series, but the one I'm eyeing is definitely Law & Order: Criminal Intent, which features the criminal's perspective. All Law & Order episodes are intelligently written and cerebral, so you have to pay close attention, especially to the names of all the characters. They're not going to explain things to you, and the sheer number of players can make it even more confusing. However, the ending is always satisfying, and sometimes just plain shocking. You will not regret spending a few hours watching these shows.

The other programme I've been enjoying immensely is The Bachelorette. If you follow Joe Millionaire as well, you will realize how classy the former is in comparison. While the latter is set in a rundown chateau, and features dates that usually take place around the estate (horseback riding, walks in the garden, fencing lessons ), the former takes its participants all over America for pricey outings that make my jaw drop. Also, the hopefuls who vie for the main character's affections differ greatly in standard. Joe's bachelorettes are mostly average-looking, but the worst thing is how money-faced and desperate they are, drooling over tiny ruby / emerald / sapphire pendants, and failing to notice that a man with $50 million should have more class and intelligence than this. The bachelors on The Bachelorette, however, are good-looking, articulate, great dressers, and good catches for any girl ( but that's just my opinion :)). I'm starting to like Ryan a lot, and my mom's right about him resembling Josh Hartnett. That painting of a Siberian white tiger he did was amazing. Trista has good taste!

This month's SMA News is out on the Net, so you can go read it before the hard copy is available. I recommend the article "SARS & The GP", which highlights some previously unknown problems faced by these practitioners. I had no idea these events occurred, so it's a helpful eye-opener.

Latest news on Clay Aiken reveal that his upcoming debut album, which is due for release on August 19th, is now already the top seller on Amazon.com. His CD single featuring Bridge Over Troubled Water has dropped to #4, but Ruben Studdard's is way below at #23 ( the latter's debut CD hasn't even registered in the top 20 in terms of pre-orders yet ). Quite astounding. :D

Last but not least, here's a prayer going out to a good friend's grandma, who's undergoing surgery for CA colon today. She's in excellent hands, so I'm sure it'll turn out fine. :)

No comments: