Saturday, September 20, 2003

3 links to post:

Lonely Ham's Blog -- from what I can gather, he's a university undergrad studying chemistry, among other things. Light-hearted musings, and links to mine as well. ( Thanks! )

Michael Buble's website -- don't know why I never put this up before. :P It's got a player, which I haven't tried 'cos I have the CD. But it should have all his songs, which you can listen to for free ( I strongly suggest just buying the album already! :D ), plus updates on his career, and info on his background, etc.

Josh Groban's site -- I'm highlighting this because his new CD is due out on November 11th, and there're new interviews +/- sneak previews from it on the site. He will be collaborating with Deep Forest, and doing a classical / orchestral cover version of Linkin Park's "My December". Good stuff!

Well, I'm on afternoon shift today. Saturday evening in resus can be bad, but it's 5 hours in, and I'm not complaining. Saw an Australian lady who fainted after getting off an 11-hour transit flight from Frankfurt. She was also hypoxic, though otherwise asymptomatic, with normal vital signs and ECG. Alarm bells went off when she told me she was taking oral contraceptive pills, and her arterial blood gases were very abnormal. A CT thorax showed bilateral segmental pulmonary embolisms, and she's now being monitored in intensive care, though very stable. That was an interesting case. :)

Earlier today, when I was driving along the Pan Island Expressway, it was raining quite heavily and I happened to slow down to let a car enter my lane. This turned out to be a fortuitous event! Just as I was about to enter the turnoff to Jalan Eunos, I saw a car cut through FOUR lanes, from the extreme right into the slip road. Then, he skidded very dramatically, and turned 180 degrees before coming to a stop at the shoulder, facing the wrong way.
The miraculous bit is how he managed to miss hitting any other cars, as well as going off the highway completely. A car had just passed by prior to his lane-changing, and I was about 20 metres away and travelling at 70 km/hr when I spotted his little stunt. Then, I realized that if I hadn't slowed down just a few seconds earlier to let that other car come into my lane, I may have been in this crazy fellow's direct path and gotten into a major accident.

A few months ago, a friend from church emailed me a story from a person who worked in the World Trade Centre prior to the 9/11 attacks. It was about how he didn't get into work on time that fateful day because of a minor delay at home. It was something that caused a bit of irritation, but it ended up saving his life. The message it wanted to bring across, of course, was that sometimes the little annoyances in our lives can make a huge difference in the end. In my case, being careful and giving way has its advantages. :)

Almost forgot! Here're some of my thoughts on The Bachelor and Survivor. :)

The Bachelor 3 -- The first episode didn't reveal much for me to comment on, but the women aren't as pretty as those in the 2nd season, and Andrew Firestone's looks fade the longer you stare at him. He does, however, have a winning smile, and boyishness is something I go for, so he's my favourite so far. :D I'm just waiting for the claws to come out. The women will later discover his true identity, and fight tooth and nail for his hand. Of course, Andrew, like all his predecessors, loves to smooch the ladies, and the trailers show that a lot. Not something I'd be comfortable with as potential-husband material, but I suppose Americans don't mind as much.

Survivor: Pearl Islands
The 90-minute pilot was full of surprises, and had me on the edge of my seat! These are some of the highlights:

Make Them Suffer: Straight off the bat, the contestants are given the shocking news that they will not be able to bring any personal possessions with them, and that they will only have the clothes they're currently wearing to last the rest of the game ( though I strongly doubt this will last, unless they want a bunch of naked people at the end of 39 days ). However, they're given some money to buy only the bare essentials at the local market, and the Drake tribe emerges as superior in terms of intelligence in this aspect.

Nudists Galore: 3 male members of the Morgan tribe bare all in the first immunity challenge, professing a "brotherhood alliance" with the African-American dude ( ?name ) whose shorts kept falling down. When he finally couldn't keep them up anymore, the other guys joined in, presumably so he wouldn't be alone in his embarrassment. I thought it was a little excessive, but all those strategically placed blurred circles amused me no end ( pun fully intended :))

And The Worst Player Is: Nicole, the massage therapist, who tried to pull a Rob Cesternino early in the game but ended up being found out and getting kicked off the show stat. Rob, if you remember, was on Survivor: Amazon, and has my vote for Best Survivor EVER. Never mind who won -- this guy was a master manipulator, and still managed to get people ( other contestants as well as viewers ) to respect him. It's going to be a long while before anyone can beat that.

Best-Looking Guy On The Show: In my honest opinion, that would be Jeff Probst, aka the host. This batch of men isn't very appetizing, and the alpha-males are quite overbearing too. There's one bearded fellow who reminds me of Hagrid from Harry Potter, and a couple of young, rather scrawny ones who are lying low at the moment. It's hard to pick a possible winner at this point. Might be a woman, you know. :)

Start watching before it's too late!

No comments: