Saturday, October 11, 2003

All I can say is, the influenza vaccine is potent. As part of a nationwide campaign to immunize healthcare workers against this virus, in preparation for the coming winter months and any possible resurgence of SARS ( which mimics flu symptoms ), our department got our turn yesterday, and I got jabbed with the vaccine after my night shift ended.

What followed about 6 hours later was a general malaise, not unusual after a night shift ( for me, at least ). This then escalated into full-fledged myalgia, some nausea, and well, just a feeling of what I can best describe as "ickiness". I asked to stay home in the evening, but my mom, who takes bible study seriously, insisted that I go with her. That proved to be too much for me, and I subsequently developed a fever, and had a hard time driving home.

I didn't feel any better this morning, and had to take medical leave to recover. It isn't the fever that's getting to me, though. The muscle aches are terrible, and if you watched "Joe vs The Volcano" ( which starred a young and slim Tom Hanks and a very youthful Meg Ryan ), you'll know what I mean when I tell you I have a "brain cloud". Seeing patients when I can't even control a steering wheel properly would be suicidal, and my deepest apologies to the poor MO who got called back from standby to help cover my duty. But we practise mutual swapping of duties in such cases, so I hope that makes up for the inconvenience. :(

People tell me some others who were vaccinated also experienced side effects, from fever to fatigue, even vomiting. I just want this to pass quickly so I won't feel like I'm 100 years old anymore. Better take an extra tablet of Vitamin C after this.

Anyway, for you Clay Aiken fans out there, the lady from Raleigh who's relaying our package has gotten back to me. With Clay's CD due for worldwide release this coming Tuesday, Raleigh will be joining other US states, as well as selected countries all over the world, in holding CD release parties and celebrating this happy event. This lady will be attending the one held in Raleigh, and will be meeting Clay's close friends, and perhaps even his mother, Faye Parker. Watch this space for more updates on our parcel. Faye is known to email people to thank them, and we hope she'll respond after she's seen our gifts. Watch this space for more updates!

So far, I've heard quite a few tracks from Clay's CD, but Measure Of A Man remains my favourite, followed by Run To Me. I just heard Touch, which has a Latino feel to it, and is extremely sensual. I'm just wondering about the music videos, considering his "troubles" with his superiors at RCA Records. C'mon, can't they just let him make his own decisions? He's a lot more sensible than most young artistes out there after all.

Only 2 days more till we get our hands on his album. :)

No comments: