Monday, January 12, 2004

Post-dinner report:

Fortunately for everyone, I didn't blank out. :) The one thing that saved me was... drum roll... a podium! I have never, in my life, been so happy to see a podium! Protection from full exposure on-stage, space to put my script! Okay, enough gushing about the darn podium :P

It was a wonderful evening -- this hotel's ballroom is one of the cozier ones I've been to, the service was terrific, the company enjoyable, and sharing in the happiness of two very nice people, one of whom I've known for 10 years, was a memorable experience. The video presentations were extremely well done, unlike some super-cheesy ones I've watched in the past. The couple chose interesting songs as well, which I found refreshing. E.g. Entering the ballroom to the tune of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen :D

The happy newlyweds are off to Spain for their honeymoon. Here's wishing them a great time, and safe journey there and back. :)

I've got 2 more weddings to attend -- one in February, another in March -- both of whom involve friends from college. My classmates are getting hitched one after another. Pretty soon I'll be the only one still single :/ Oh wait, one fellow I sat with last night told me he doesn't really intend to get married, so all right, I may not be alone in this after all. ;)

Afternoon shift in resus today. There're 2 MOs, so we're pretty relaxed. :)

Watched my recording of "Faking It" earlier. This is one documentary series I highly recommend. The episode I taped had a drag racer named Andrew being transformed into a drag queen. The guy looks like Noah Wyle -- who plays Carter on the TV show "ER" -- so this made for some hilarious but fascinating television. Priceless moments: when he tries on a slinky black dress for the first time and walks out of the dressing room ( he says, "This is so surreal. I keep telling myself I'm NOT supposed to be in a dress right now!" ); his attempts at walking in what look like platforms with 5-inch heels; and the looks on his friends' and relatives' faces when he told them what he was going to do.

But the programme also offers great insight into the lives of professional drag queens in New York. They take their work very seriously, and have a sizeable audience, complete with nightclub gigs and competitions. I really enjoyed this show, and can't wait for next week's theme: Polo to Wrangler.

Just saw the roster for the surgeons on call this evening. I've worked with 3 of them before, all of whom are excellent at what they do, and also some of the nicest people I know. The ER is pretty quiet at the moment, so hope you guys have a good night. :)

I'm on standby tomorrow. Time to wash house again. ;)

No comments: