Friday, October 22, 2004

Marathon (Wo)Man

Suspect I'm stretching myself a little thin. But surprisingly, I haven't felt this invigorated in... well... I guess eons.

With the recent whirlwind of activity -- both social and work-related -- the accompanying exhaustion has been somewhat tempered by a constant flow of relative highs; the frowns eased by enjoyable evenings spent with a variety of fascinating people, the prospect of hitting my 3rd decade of life tinted an almost rosy pink by a few "calculated risks".

I cannot say this enough: aside from family, good friends are essential ingredients to a happy life. Catching up with an RGS classmate who still calls you by that almost-forgotten nickname; a hurried yet intimate meal with my oldest pal; emails and SMSs from various sources, filled with good wishes and the occasional cheeky sarcasm; last night's highly enjoyable dinner with 3 fellow ER physicians whom I deeply admire and respect... is it some freak coincidence it's all happened within the last 3 weeks?!

Then, there are The Other Fascinating Characters. One, a roguish fellow who's almost done it all, and whose penetrating stare often prompts me to avert my eyes in case he somehow manages to extract some deep secret from within the very depths of my soul. The second, a colourful personality with numerous God-given talents and an enigmatic discrepancy between his behaviour towards me at work and outside of it. The third, the quietest among the three, and also the most unfathomable: someone who bares his heart to strangers, yet keeps choice portions of his life story hidden to those he knows.

Time spent with two of the three followed -- at least from my limited experience -- conventional practice. Discovering similarities first, followed by differences. After all, isn't it always the former that draws you to say yes to the invitation, and the latter that makes you keep saying yes thereafter?

The last, however, is the complete opposite. Differences first, similarities later. Refreshing in a way, but occasionally a little too obvious for my liking -- especially since the former seem to vastly outnumber the latter.

Still, at this point in time at least, it is this very last character who holds my interest most effortlessly, and whose mind and heart I would very much like to explore in greater detail ( that is, if he doesn't coil up like a startled hedgehog first ). In my younger days, when push came to shove, I stepped up to the task with great fervour. A lot of good that did me, heh heh. :) Well, not anymore. If the past 10-15 years have taught me anything, it is the lesson of Patience, and the simple virtue of Waiting. If it happens, it happens. If not, I have no doubt he'll make some lucky woman out there very, very happy.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. :)


Have found a new jazz singer to gush over. He's featured on a swing compilation album I bought yesterday, and sounds like a cross between Peter Cincotti and Michael Buble. The song "Miracle" almost did me in. If you want to see me reduced to a stuttering idiot, try playing it in my presence. :D

Enough emoting for one day. Time to nap in preparation for my night shift -- the last of the posting, YES! No more 3am fevers and crazy parents!

No comments: