Saturday, January 29, 2005

30th Birthday Updates - sort of

1. Catch Sting in concert -- check
2. Catch Norah Jones in concert -- 27th Feb, akan datang but check
3. Sing on national radio - twice -- first round's over, but second one's on the way; not something I planned, but it's kinda fun. Check! :)
( Those interested in hearing me crow on air can SMS me to find out when I'll be put on the spot again; the prize is HUUUUUUGE and I've already overcome major odds to secure leave should I somehow win. Wish me luck! )

What I Think Of Tasmania - Part 2

Okay, it's hard to say bad things about a place -- even though I hated the food, the weather, and the Sleepy Hollow feel -- when your holiday photos turn out looking like a million bucks. I kid you not.

My camera's 4 years old and of the manual Advanced Photo System variety, but the pictures are amazing . Some of them are even more fantastic than those I snapped in NZ. What the... ?

Favourites of the lot:

Russell Falls at Mount Field National Park ( Hobart )-- A surreal three-tiered waterfall surrounded by little trees. Unbelievable on film. Top on my photo list.

Cataract Gorge ( Launceston ) -- An oasis of lakes, rivers, cool rock formations and a babbling brook, not to mention an outdoor pool, garden cafe and chair lift ride ( the last is extremely dangerous, if you really think about it -- ie. no locking mechanism on those "restraining" bars ). Beautiful.

Port Arthur ( Hobart ) -- An historic site where an old prison and various staff residences can be found, the sprawling grounds and gorgeous weather ( thank goodness for that! ) make this my favourite place Tasmania-wise.

Nature Shots -- Collected from a number of places, including the abovementioned. Flora and fauna are abundant on the island, and I'm particularly fond of my pictures depicting a wild echidna and wallaby ( the latter was successfully coaxed to nibble from my hand ), as well as a field of poppies ( never mind about the surrounding electric fence :)). The St. Matthias vineyard and Sorell cherry farm also turned out very well.

Best of all, my parents and I actually look happy and younger than usual. Hmmm.


Reading Material

Haven't finished the Poor In Singapore feature in today's Straits Times yet, but will discuss this further another day. I get so PO-ed when I see people throwing good money away on frivolous pursuits. Spare a thought for those in need, yeesh. Even if you're not the donating kind, at least save some of your dough.

The House Of God & Mount Misery by Samuel Shem; Complications by Atul Gawande -- Found them at a good price at the medical bookshop located in SGH. I just love that store. They even carry Christian fare! :)

That's it for now. Am suffering from a bout of nerves due to the upcoming singing thing. But hey, if you don't do this at least once in your life, what's the whole point eh? :D

No comments: