Friday, February 25, 2005

A Moment Of Silence

For Dr. Chan Kah Poon, aka "Garfield", who was a member of the SMA News' editorial board, and whom I met a few times during our ed board dinners.

Always such a jolly man, with so many wonderful stories to share. I last spoke to him about a year ago, when we were seated next to each other at the table, enjoying a buffet spread. We spoke of medical and political issues, and he related his retirement plans.

The illness struck unexpectedly, and its progression was swift. But his last moments were spent with many people who loved him dearly, and he will be missed tremendously.


It's Time -- Michael Buble

As I mentioned earlier, the shamefully brief review in Life! is a huge travesty, considering the calibre of this second effort.

The best descriptions for it are: adventurous, versatile, vocally exceptional, playful and sensuous.

In a word: WOW.

Get ready for the track-by-track!


Feeling Good -- one of many Big Band pieces on the album. Buble's velvety voice coupled + a pounding orchestra + James Bond-esque theme = a big winner.
Best bits: the bridge, which features the brass instruments in all their full-bodied glory; the line "Oh freedom is mine " being belted by Buble in the later half of the song, followed by his purring "I feel so good " right at the end. Yow. :)

A Foggy Day ( In London Town ) -- this has the word "happy" written all over it. Buble delivers it with a light yet assured touch.
Best bits: the bridge ( again! ) with its infectious swing beat and sweet saxophones; Buble's soaring "everywhere " in the last line of the piece.

You Don't Know Me -- crooning at its best! Lovelorn, oozing with deep longing, and rife with the regret of missed opportunities and unrequited affection. Buble in his element!
Best bits: a beautiful electric guitar solo; the lines "Afraid and shy / I let my chance go by / A chance that you might love me too " ( that's my life story right there, haha )

Quando, Quando, Quando -- I first heard this done by Engelbert Humperdink ( remember him? ), thanks to my mom who's a fan ( and that guy could really sing, you know ). Humperdink did a fast version, whereas Buble's duet with Nelly Furtado ( yes, believe it ) is a simmering rumba. In fact, she sounds so different from her usual nasal self I mistook her for Renee Olstead.
Absolutely wonderful, this one. Definitely one of my favourites on the CD.
Best bits: everything. :D

Home -- an original composition by Buble and his resident pianist, Alan Chang ( who's also really nice-looking, heh ), this is a lovely little song which will certainly hit a nerve in anyone who's ever been homesick.
Best bits: Buble's smooth and appropriately under-stated vocals; "I'm surrounded by a million people / I still feel all alone / I wanna go home " sung with raw emotion.

Can't Buy Me Love -- one of his "adventurous" forays in the sense that he's deviated from the mainstream, crowd-pleasing fare which populated his debut album. This piece starts off with a frenetic bass accompaniment, then switches to a finger-snapping swing tempo. Great trumpet bridge, and more of that James Bond theme!
Best bits: the bridge, yeah!; the ending, which swings to lyrics from The Beatles' She Loves You ( Yeah Yeah Yeah ), if I'm not mistaken ( ie. "With a love like that / You know you should be glad " ).

The More I See You -- the Big Band makes another appearance in this cool-cat song. Conjures up images of giant white tents on even bigger lawns, or smoky nightclubs, take your pick.
Best bits: Buble's soaring vocals in the second half; his nicely done scatting at the end.

Save The Last Dance For Me -- I've heard this sung by Nat King Cole before, but Michael Buble does it sooooo much better!
Never fails to bring a smile to my face, 'cos it's just so fabulous. From the opening guitar riffs, to the castanets, to the Mexican-flavoured trumpet and piano melodies. Another of my favourites on the album!
Best bits: the entire arrangement; Buble's purr/growl of "Baby don't you know I love you so" early in the song.

Try A Little Tenderness -- a beautiful, slow, romantic ballad. I tend to pick out the piano in almost everything I listen to, and this piece features an absolutely gorgeous keyboard accompaniment. Don't miss it!
Best bits: the piano ( in case you've forgotten :)); the last part for sure, where Buble hits high notes and does some vocal acrobatics with the word "tenderness". Someone hand me a cold towelette please. :)

How Sweet It Is -- with a chugging beat ( literally ), this is a far cry from James Taylor's version, but of course, both are excellent in their own ways. I personally prefer songs that keep me awake, so no prizes for guessing who won.
Best bits: the very creative and thumping sound effects.

Song For You -- my interest in Michael Buble all started when I heard his voice on The Way You Look Tonight 2 years ago ( not, as some of you may think, after spotting his CD cover shot! ). So it should not come as any surprise that I favour his slower pieces. This track showcases his ability at crooning to amazing effect.
Best bits: the noir-ish feel, with its brooding trumpet solo and sensual piano melody; Buble's emotional delivery ( "And when my life is over / Remember when we were together / We were alone and I was singing my song for you " ).

I've Got You Under My Skin -- you must've heard Frank Sinatra's original, or perhaps his duet with Bono from U2? Here, we have another worthy cover of a great classic. What can I say, Buble can't possibly go wrong with jazz. :)
Best bits: All those trumpets, trombones and clarinets; the Big Band bridge; those awesome vocals again, switching effortlessly from high octaves to low growls.

You And I -- okay, I have to admit this is my FAVOURITE SONG from Michael Buble EVER. For now at least, haha. I'd never heard this piece before, but now that I have, I don't think anyone else can hope to surpass this version. There's a gem in every jazz album, and not necessarily one that gets the popular vote ( my personal choices include Buble's You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine and You'll Never Know, Jamie Cullum's I Get A Kick Out Of You, A Time For Love and It Ain't Necessarily So, and Robbie Williams' One For My Baby ). This song, IMHO, takes the cake!
Best bits: from beginning to end. No kidding. The kicker -- in the 3rd minute, when he hits the higher octave with "You and I / In my mind / We can conquer the world in love / You and I " ). Sigh.

Dream A Little Dream -- I've heard this sung by a variety of people, but heck, Buble makes it sound as fresh as if it's just come off the composer's wet manuscript. Another crooning session, but that's exactly how it's meant to be done.
Best bits: his wonderful voice ( "Stars fading but I linger on dear / Still craving your kiss " ), the sweet piano solos.

Mack The Knife -- if I have to find one, just ONE, complaint about this album, it would be this track. And only because I've heard the "live" rendition from his Come Fly With Me CD/DVD offering, which possessed great energy that only "live" performances can exude. This version is upbeat and well done, with Buble experimenting liberally with the core melody, but my mind's already made up, sorry. :)
Best bits: the second half, with all those "alternative" tunes; the inevitable buildup to the climactic finale; Buble's glory note right at the end.


What're you waiting for?! Go get a copy right now!

No comments: