Monday, March 28, 2005

The IRAS Cometh

I HATE e-filing tax returns.

But it's done. One less headache to contend with.

The Iceman Singeth

Did anyone catch Parkinson on StarWorld last night? Guests included Renee Zellweger, Mel Brooks ( aka Marlin from Finding Nemo ), and *drum roll* Kevin Spacey.

Spacey obliged with 2 performances of Bobby Darin songs ( one of which was Mack The Knife ). What a treat. :)

But of course, he's also one of Hollywood's most elegant, eloquent speakers. Calm, confident, purposeful choice of words, yet brimming with good-natured humour ( get a load of his Jack Lemmon impression ) -- precisely why I'm such a big fan.

Photos To Follow

Clay Aiken appeared on "Scrubs" earlier this year, but I never managed to write about that thanks to my crazy schedule. Online recap available here, but I've seen the photos already, and have never seen him look better. Now if only I can remember where I saw those pictures...

Burning Out

Into my 2nd month of registrar-ship, and at least 3 people notice I've lost weight. Yikes.

Last week was a particularly bad one, with busy shifts, and a literally "nightmare case" involving a young asthmatic who deteriorated before our eyes within a mere 5 minutes. If you thought a child could never be diaphoretic, you're totally wrong. This kid was into his 2nd nebulizer when his clothes became drenched. And I mean SOAKED THROUGH. I pushed him from Critical Care into Resus immediately, and had to intubate him soon after.

The good news is, he was transferred to the paediatric ICU at you-know-where that very afternoon, extubated later in the evening, and sent to the ward the morning after.

Guess we adult ER physicians got the brunt of the (extreme) stress. His parents were frantic, we were doing everything we could to avoid intubating the boy, but once the drowsiness and plunging sats set in, the decision was final. Titrating the Magnesium Sulfate and IV Salbutamol ( not to mention all those sedating drugs to stop him from pulling the ETT out ) weren't exactly fun either.

Hats off to paediatricians.

Shift's starting soon. Wish me luck.

No comments: