Thursday, October 06, 2005

11:45pm

Sitting here now, I just find it really funny that I am able to blog during pretty normal hours when I'm working crazy shifts, and somehow haven't even found the time to log on from home ever since my leave started 4 days ago.

And speaking of blogs...

I'm extremely saddened by the abrupt end of a very enjoyable one.

But, fret not, because we've got more new talent for the SMA News. :)

After recruiting 2 fresh slaves - just kidding ( a little, haha ) - a couple of weeks ago, we've managed to secure 3 other excellent writers, 2 of whom are MOs, and the last a final year med student.

We're all familiar with the realm of blogging, but meeting everyone in person proved to be a surprise, with quite a few preconceived ideas drastically altered ( but all good, rest assured ).

My thanks to the gentleman who made a comment about my looking "very different" from what he'd expected. It's always nice to receive a compliment, but I have to admit, the fact that he's rather, err, young, helped me appreciate it a lot more. :)

Before I Forget

Just helping to publicize something here. Our SMA News editor is chairing the event, and from his enthusiastic descriptions, this sounds like it's going to be a blast.

The medical side lost 2 years in a row, but we've got a Secret Weapon ( newly acquired - I think you know who you are :)) whom we intend to release in 2006. *rubs hands together gleefully*

Guy Talk

4 men at a dinner table can't be wrong.

I apologize for mentioning the odd good-looking male in my entries from time to time, but to quote Al Pacino from "Scent Of A Woman": The day you stop looking is the day you die.

Which reminds me: Passed a Caucasian fellow in a gorgeous metallic dark blue pin-striped suit outside Scotts Shopping Centre 3 days ago. The clothes caught my eye first, but the guy is also REALLY something. In his late 20s / early 30s, with light brown wavy short hair, deep blue eyes, flawless complexion, a confident stride, and not the least perturbed by the sweltering heat.

Rome was CRAWLING with men like him. I strongly recommend spending a few days in that city if you're into this sort of scenery. :D

Annual Leave Activity Check List

Completed:

1. Get a haircut

2. Buy lots of insurance ( Yes, I'm paranoid. And yes, you should be too. )

3. Buy a new car ( couldn't believe the headlines today, which spookily coincided with my trip to the showroom ). Nothing fancy, believe me, but the deal was too sweet to turn down, and the test drive was absolutely divine. Can't wait to get my hands on it when it arrives in Singapore.

In the process:

1. Watch loads of DVDs - have already ploughed through "Monster-In-Law" ( formulaic fluff ), "Alexander" ( pure torture ), "Cursed" ( started off well then deteriorated in the 2nd half, but Jesse Eisenberg has star potential ) and "Alfie" ( Jude Law looks great, but everything else kinda sucks ).

Still have another stack of discs to get through, 3 of which are foreign films. Not that many new releases, so guess that'll have to wait till Christmas.

2. Finish up all those dinner/meetings. I've reached a stage where I have to take leave in order to go out with people. And I actually routinely psych myself up before each event ( 'cos contrary to most people's perceptions, I'm NOT much of a talker, which isn't very good when there're only 2 of you ).

I don't mind, really, if I don't have to do this on a regular basis. I never agree to meet someone if I'm not feeling up to it, because every person's time is important and showing zero regard for it is just unforgiveable, even if you don't know him/her that well.

Call me anal, but when a person doesn't bother to reserve some time for me ( especially if s/he is the one who invited me out in the first place ), I automatically form a very bad impression which is very difficult to erase.
Perhaps that may answer a question posed by one fellow and totally misunderstood by another.

3. Read Jeffrey Deaver's "Garden Of Beasts", a well-researched and fast-paced thriller set just prior to WWII in Berlin. He's one of my favourite authors, but IMHO, "Praying For Sleep" is still his best work thus far.

4. Compile quotes from the last 3 episodes of "House". I have them on tape! Give me some time to jot them down.

5. Wait with bated breath for news regarding an opportunity to meet someone whom I've admired for the last 2 years. If it happens, it'll be the perfect close to an already-perfect year. :)


It's getting late, so will have to log off and get some rest in preparation for yet another hectic day tomorrow ( being on leave isn't very relaxing ).

Photo Time

Something from Pisa ( obviously ).

Quaint little town with only 1 major attraction drawing HORDES of tourists. That place is so packed it's absolutely insane.

I didn't feel the urge to go up to the top or pose like countless others in typical look-I'm-holding-up-the-tower-with-my-bare-hands positions.

Fun facts: They only let 30 people in every half hour, and restoration works are hilariously haphazard ( they began at one end, stopped somewhere in the middle, then restarted at the other end - supposedly a well-known Italian trait ). So the top and bottom are clean, but the centre is grimy. Weird.

Apparently, the church facing the tower is also slanted ( a fact verified by the local guide when my mom commented that the building appeared to be listing to the right - and which I initially vehemently disagreed with ).

Lesson learnt - never mess with my mother's instincts. :)

No comments: