Friday, October 28, 2005

Short Update

No time to blog - again. Yeesh.


In short:


1. The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra RULES!

Full review to follow shortly - not sure exactly when though.

Life!'s review was muted, as usual ( don't the reporters like anything they watch?! ), or mixed at best.

I personally LOVED every minute of it. The percussion section ROCKED, and the trumpets gave me goosebumps all the way. I was there both nights, 2nd row centre each evening ( which puts me just a row in front of the concert reviewer ). Was he sitting in the Bermuda Triangle? Sounded all good to me.

I've got their awesome 4-CD movie collection set blasting on the car stereo now. Absolutely beautiful!


2. New Jamie Cullum album - finally!

Wah lau, the review in the paper today was, what, a paragraph long? Terrible.

Just got this yesterday ( together with Robbie Williams' Intensive Care, but more on that another time ), and spent 2 hours listening to it, which means I slept at 2am. Ugh, not good for my afternoon shift later, heh heh.

In my opinion, JC has outdone himself in the most wonderful way with his latest effort. Don't know what the heck the Life! reviewer was doing when he listened to this terrific CD - talking on the phone with the disc playing in the background? watching TV? rushing for a deadline? - but I chose to savour it lying on my bed with the lights down low and the volume turned WAY UP.

Lots of excellent tracks, with a detailed rundown sometime soon. Suffice to say, I couldn't stay on the bed for long, and trying to sleep after hearing the last few songs on the album is virtually impossible.

If you fancy a sample, I highly recommend Get Your Way ( #1 ), Nothing I Do ( #5 ), Our Day Will Come ( #12 ), Back To The Ground ( #13 ), Fascinating Rhythm ( #14 ) and My Yard ( #15 ). See what I mean about not being able to sleep? :)

My personal favs right now are 7 Days To Change Your Life ( #11 ) - a very cool slow jazz number with a full-bodied vocal performance from JC reminiscent of What A Difference A Day Made, and Mind Trick ( #6 ) - bluesy soul in the great tradition of Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, and just as easily appreciated with JC's raspy rendition OR Justin Timberlake's falsetto ( if he ever does a cover, which I'm sure SOMEONE will at some point - it's THAT GOOD ). Very very VERY nice indeed. :)

JC's most proud of 21st Century Kid, which hasn't exactly grown on me yet, but probably will after a few more spins.

Never thought I'd say this about a JC album, but this dude makes super-SEXY music. Never mind the fact that he still looks like a kid.

10 thumbs up!

3. Elaine Page concert

Tomorrow night. Man, 3 concerts in a week is wearing me down. But the highs are well worth it!


House Quotes

Yes, I'm consistently behind now. Think I need to read fewer books ( "Codex" by the way, perplexed me at the end. Someone please tell me what the HECK happened. )


Dr. Alison Cameron: Deflecting a personal question with a joke. Gee, who do I know who does THAT?

Dr. Eric Foreman: Yeah, I'm just like him [ ie. House ]. Except for the angry, bitter, pompous, crippled part.

Cameron: Maybe we should pitch in and get you a nice cane. You already have matching gym shoes.



House: I'm going to admit her for further tests.

Patient's son: What!?!? She's just OLD!

House: And you're just INSUFFERABLE.



House: What're the kid's chances without it?

Dr. Robert Chase: Minimal at best. The poison's broken the blood-brain barrier.

House: I assume minimal at best is your stiff upper lip British way of saying "no chance in hell".

Chase: I'm Australian.

House: You put the Queen on your money - you're British.



House: What can I say? Chicks without teeth turn me on.

Dr. James Wilson: That's... fairly disgusting.

House: That's ageism.



Dr. Lisa Cuddy: Maternal instinct is always irrational - doesn't mean it's wrong.

House: Actually, that's the definition.

Cuddy: Her only sign of mental illness is that she disagrees with you. Some would consider that a sign of SANITY.



Patient's mother: Who ARE you?

House: I'm the doctor who's trying to save your son. You're the mom who's letting him die.
Clarification - it's a beautiful thing.



Budak Pantai Gig

Hey guys, am helping put up the link as requested. I'll try to attend as well, pending roster issues. :)

BP website

SISTIC page


Time for lunch, a workout, then WORK. More next time.

No comments: