Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Home sweet home.

Time flew a little too quickly for my liking. And I'm due back at work tomorrow. Sigh.

However, Tokyo was extremely enjoyable. More details in a later entry, but to cut a long story short, the subway is freaking crazy, I'm totally awed by the peak hour traffic ( human, that is ), great food practically oozes from every street, Disneyland is absolutely magical, and I'm one of the lucky few who got to see Mt Fuji in all its snow-capped, unclouded glory ( woohoo! ).

Culture-wise, I have to say it wasn't as "flowery" as I expected ( based on stories told to me by friends who've been there ). Maybe it's because of the weather -- freezing by my standard -- hence the paucity of daring dress sense among the locals. I did, however, witness the occasional nut with the barely-there mini-skirt ( one of which offered an excellent view of white panties on the escalator ), loads of leather boots and stiletto heels which can double as deadly weapons, and a large chunk of heavily made up schoolgirls at a McDonald's outlet in Shibuya ( but they were very nice and helped me figure out how to work the kooky soap dispenser in the toilet ).

Anyway, I've realized how pathetic it is to be able to catch the latest film releases only when I'm travelling. So I recently managed to watch the sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lake House, The Devil Wears Prada, You Me & Dupree, and Superman Returns ( you'll be amazed how early Krisworld starts, so be sure to turn it on even when the plane's still climbing ). Also caught North Country and The Corpse Bride at a certain countryside hotel ( because they had ZERO English channels, yeesh ).

Verdict:
~~~~~~~

Didn't like the Pirates sequel. Someone please tell me what the heck happened at the end 'cos I fell asleep.

Superman Returns was o-kay. Still prefer the originals ( I and II especially ).

You, Me & Dupree was entertaining, but essentially fluffy stuff.

North Country is terrific.

The Corpse Bride is excellent.

The Devil Wears Prada is superb. Simon Baker is gorgeous in this movie, yow. :)

The Lake House is sooooo bloody good I bought the DVD today. ( A few of you probably consider it dumb mush, but I have a very soft spot for Keanu Reeves and think he did a wonderful job here. )


Other important updates:

The latest season of Nip/Tuck is on Channel 5 every Monday at 11pm. Super-dark, super-twisted -- I love it. :)

AXN is also showing reruns of seasons 1 and 2 in the same timeslot. But they repeat at 3am in the morning, in case you want to set your timers.

Reruns of Numb3rs ( the best episodes ) air Tuesdays at 11pm ( AXN ). Must not miss.


Gotta get some shuteye now. More updates next time.

No comments: