Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Fare Thee Well

I've been following John Lloyd Young's blog regularly since catching him on Jersey Boys, and am quite saddened to read that his last ( though unofficial ) performance as Frankie Valli was on November 9th, instead of the 21st as originally planned, due to the stagehand strike.

He expresses his thoughts and feelings on this unforeseen turn of events, in what I would describe as a very moving entry.

Having had the opportunity to scroll through many of his previous posts ( dating back 1-2 years, including one about his Brown University buddy, Masi Oka from the TV show Heroes :)), it's clear that JLY's love for his fans and his work hasn't abated one iota since he first burst onto the scene in this groundbreaking role.

He mentions his meet-and-greet experiences often and with great affection. He supports fellow friends in show business by publicizing their various projects. He helps raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. He never tires of belting Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons songs.

I've been to many performances in my lifetime, seen the good ( Michael Buble, Sting, Jason Mraz ) and the bad ( Elaine Paige not in her element, David Copperfield being more robotic than usual ). Jersey Boys ranks right up there with the best of them, and JLY gets my vote for being one of the warmest, most appreciative and incredibly sincere celebrities ( though he wouldn't like that label! ) around.

That said, I also enjoy his blog because he's a terrific writer. Wouldn't bother reading it otherwise. :)
I have no doubt his star will continue to rise in the years to come. Here's wishing him a stellar career ahead, and I can't wait to watch him again the next time I visit New York. :D

No comments: