Thursday, June 09, 2011

Pure Indulgence

It's been a long while since my last indulgence-themed post ( sometime in 2010, I believe ). It's about time for another. :)

I've become a massive Michael Fassbender fan in recent weeks, thanks to Jane Eyre and X-Men: First Class. I noticed MF a couple of years ago during his memorable 30-minute performance as Lt. Archie Hicox in the extremely funny Inglourious Basterds. I missed a few subsequent releases ( other than Centurion, were the others even shown in Singapore? ), but am now catching up thanks to the Internet.



As mentioned, MF's short but high-profile turn in Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece will always remain as one of his most defining roles. A dashing figure in military uniform ( British and German ), hair slicked back, sporting a crisp English accent then reprimanding in fluent German, even simply clicking a cigarette lighter - it was clear that he was destined for stardom. He remained slightly below the radar for a year or two, but has made a huge splash in 2011. I certainly hope his career will continue to soar.



Here's the movie I watched recently, titled Eden Lake.
It's a British psychological thriller revolving around a couple whose weekend trip to an isolated picnic haunt turns into a nightmare of infinite proportions, when they meet a group of homicidal teenagers.

I'm not the squeamish type, but had to shield my eyes during a few scenes. Not because of the blood quotient ( though that's present in ample quantity ), but the disturbing subtext lying just beneath the surface.

In this tale, the adults are the hapless victims, the kids their ruthless tormentors. And if that doesn't make you squirm, then the severity of one boy's psychosis will definitely do the trick.

MF isn't the star here, but plays a supporting role beautifully. You empathize with his character, whose hotheadedness leads to his downfall, and that famous MF intensity never wanes. ( I just noticed he bears a resemblance to Sting. Interesting. :))

Still, the movie belongs to lead actress Kelly Reilly ( who also appeared in Pride & Prejudice and Sherlock Holmes ). She does the plucky heroine routine well, and the teenage cast is top-notch.

My review isn't doing it the justice it deserves. Eden Lake is much more than what's written here. Every viewer will react differently, and the film will occupy your thoughts way after the end credits stop rolling.



Next, Centurion, which I watched earlier this week.

Not well-executed, but recommended for MF fans.
He plays a Roman centurion on the run with fellow soldiers, as they're relentlessly pursued by a group of savage Picts.
Again, MF excels as an action star, this time wielding giant swords and smashing skulls with aplomb. But for some strange reason, his unwavering gaze receives a lot of attention here. Is it due to the lighting, the makeup, or the director's discretion? Either way, I enjoy it very very much. :)



Now, a series of glamour shots, obtained from a Google images search. There're many to choose from, but the first ( and the last ) is especially engrossing, thanks to my obsession with hands.

And MF has 2 of the most gorgeous ones I've ever seen. Loooong, tapering fingers are right up my alley. :)




An interesting pic featuring a motorcycle - though I much prefer him in suits sans grunge.



If the Jane Eyre makeup artist had been any good, Mr. Rochester would've looked like this!



And mark my words, someday ( and soon ), MF will play a monarch. And he will make all the women swoon at his feet. :)

Need a napkin for my drool. :D

No comments: